Do you love yogurt parfaits as much as I do? I’m such a sucker for a layered treat! But I don’t have to feel guilty about this one because it is made with lime-infused Greek yogurt, fruit, and my secret crunchy ingredient! I think these would also be a healthy but pretty dessert to have for the 4th of July.
Start with a 24 oz container of plain Greek yogurt. You can use regular or non-fat. Add in 1/4 can of sweetened condensed milk (or about 1/4 cup).
Then zest two small limes and squeeze in the juice. Taste it to make sure it is to your liking. It should be sweet and tangy!
Now chop up one and a half pounds of strawberries and pull out a 10 oz container of blueberries. Lastly, for my secret ingredient, crush about 2 cups of pretzels. I like to add these to the yogurt parfaits because they add a crunch and a bit of salt. Salty sweet is one of my favorite combos!
Now begin the assembly of the yogurt parfaits. The layers should be as follows: yogurt, pretzels, strawberries, blueberries. On the second layer, start with the pretzels instead of the yogurt. The pretzels help hold the yogurt in place, otherwise it drips down among the fruit and the layers aren’t as pretty. Each layer of yogurt should only be 3-4 spoonfuls so you should have enough for 4 small mason jar parfaits.
Finish the parfait with a sprinkle of fruit and pretzels on top. I think these would also be delicious with granola or crushed graham crackers! One side note: these are best served right away or within an hour of preparing. If left too long the pretzels get soggy and lose their crunch. But you can always leave the pretzels out and have this stunning snack waiting in the fridge for the kids. I pack them in my husband’s lunch.
Wouldn’t this be fun to serve to your friends on the 4th of July? If you need any other BBQ or outdoor cooking ideas for the holiday, you may want to check out these 13 Best Summer BBQ and Potluck Recipes! There is something for everyone. Happy cooking ya’ll!
- 24 oz plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup sweetened condensed milk
- zest of 2 small limes (or 1 large)
- juice from 2 small limes (or 1 large)
- 1.5 pounds strawberries hulled and chopped
- 10 oz blueberries
- 2 cups chopped pretzel pieces
- Optional: granola or graham crackers instead of pretzels.
- Chop strawberries and pretzels.
- Mix the yogurt with the sweetened condensed milk and lime products.
- Pull out small mason jars or cups.
- Assemble the parfaits: yogurt, pretzels, strawberries, blueberries
- Assemble 2nd layer: pretzels, yogurt, strawberries, blueberries
- Top with a spoonful of yogurt and bits of fruit and pretzels.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to one hour.